CITY OF DAYTON
This is to announce that resumes are being accepted for the UNCLASSIFIED position of:
Title: DIRECTOR - PLANNING & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
The City of Dayton (City) is looking for a Director of Planning & Community Development to manage the Planning/Community Development department.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Planning & Community Development reports to the City Manager or designee. In executing the function of the Director of Planning & Community Development, the incumbent is required to function within the general policies and goals established by the City Commission, the City Manager, and the various City boards, as well as possess a working knowledge and understanding of the administrative guidelines as established by the City administration. The Department's divisions have a significant impact on the legislative and administrative functions of the City Government. Incumbent is required to interpret, apply and execute responsibilities within the parameters of the Federal, State, and local legislation. The Director of Planning & Community Development directs staff in initiating, developing, presenting and implementing all elements of the land use and transportation sections of the City's master plan; coordinating, approving and executing policy methods and procedures related to City planning activities, programs, and projects; making continuing personal contacts involving public relations, difficult negotiations, presentation and interpretation of City planning, policies, rules and regulations, and problems of a professional and technical nature.
The Director of Planning & Community Development is held accountable for:
* Managing and directing all activities of the department through division managers and other subordinate staff members.
* Preparing policies and communications that result in the development, redevelopment and improvement of the quality of life within the City and its neighborhoods.
* Community engagement and citizen involvement that includes neighborhood organizing.
* Creating programs and policy recommendations for consideration by the City Manager, City Commission, City Plan Board, and Landmark Commission.
* Acting as the liaison between the various boards and the City Commission to facilitate the flow of information and maintaining communication.
* Preparing comprehensive neighborhood plans, zoning code and subdivision regulation revisions.
* Developing urban design plans and standards for the City, amenities planning, selected architectural services and other appropriate project design.
* Establishing goals and objectives with subordinates and evaluates their performance on a regular basis.
* Ensuring public awareness of stated goals and objectives of the City relative to planning and community development activities; actively engages citizens of the city in planning and community development, public policy discussions and service delivery.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college AND ten (10) years of management level experience is required. A Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Business, Planning, or Engineering can be substituted for two (2) years of experience. For each year experience working in Planning, Engineering or Community Development, one (1) year management level experience may be substituted.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Must have a valid driver's license at time of appointment and maintain as a condition of employment.
SALARY RANGE: $98,612.80 - $133,411.20
Resume and cover letter specifically addressing how your experience relates to the qualifications and duties required for this position, copy of college transcripts and driver's license should be sent to:
Human Resources Department
Re: Director - Planning & Community Development
City of Dayton
101 W. Third Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, however first consideration will be given to resumes received by Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. A complete position description may be obtained from the Human Resources Office, City Hall, 101 W. Third Street, Room 335, P.O. Box 22, Dayton, Ohio 45401-0022.
THE CITY OF DAYTON IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Final permanent appointment is contingent up the applicant passing a job-related medical examination including a drug screening, background investigation, and providing documentary evidence of Employment Authorization and Identity required by the Immigration and Nationality Act.